Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Creative Habit, a question from Annie Salness


Annie Salness, a fabulous artist I met through Karin Jurick's "Different Strokes from Different Folks" blog, sent out the question "The Creative Habit" an artist's habits, routines, or rituals of preparation for their day, their work, a new project, etc. She was kind enough to ask me to participate. Here is what I posted to her question:

My creative habit...now, everyone will know I am a nut~

I just need more hours in the day!

I have a full time "real" job that keeps me busy Tuesday through Friday. I paint nights and weekends. I joined the group "Daily Painter's Marketplace" to remind me of my commitment to myself to paint daily, if only for an hour.

I work from home as a medical transcriptionist sitting typing one report after another. I have the TV on in the background with painting videos playing. I think some of the technique and inspiration sinks into my subconscious while I am typing. I also place the reference photo of my current and next project near the computer screen in my visual field while I work. It may sound crazy, but when I go to actually paint the picture....it seems easier. I could be totally wrong, but I am convinced the brain absorbs your entire surroundings, even when you are not aware.

If an idea for a painting pops into my head, I immediately write it down or sketch it on any paper I can find.....sometimes the thought totally disappears 15 minutes later if I don't write it down. I know I have forgotten more paintings than I have painted.

So much of my inspiration is quite by accident. For instance, the other day I took all my leftover paint on my palette and mixed them altogether...really expecting to get a horrid brown. To my surprise, I have this beautiful teal blue. There are so many wonderful things to do with this beautiful color. My only problem now is I have no idea how to recreate my new favorite color.

If I feel there is nothing left for me to paint and my little bag of inspiration is empty....I paint my old familiar stand by, a pear. I love paintings pears. I paint a small pear to get back into the groove.....If the pear comes out ugly, oops :(

For more from Annie Salness and other artists regarding the Creative Habit, visit "What is Your Creative Habit".

Torrie

3 comments:

Annie Salness said...

Hi Torrie,
Thank you for your great post to my blog and for including it here as well. The responses have been very interesting and helpful. I've picked up several ideas that I am anxious to try! I hope many more will join the discussion!

Unknown said...

What an interesting post Torrie. I've often wondered if I should get into medical transciption also too to help offset my payments to my ex. I like how you give yourself continue inspiration and instruction albeit mostly subliminally through the DVDs. Thank you sharing!

Cathleen, HeArt said...

Enjoyed reading your post. You are always inspiring. Thanks for sharing!